Saturday, April 4, 2015

AP Open Question #1

1 comment:

  1. Let me start by saying I absolutely loved your presentation title! I like how simple, yet how powerful it is, since everyone knows oil and water do not mix well together. Relating the oil and water to reality and fantasy was a very nice comparison and helped set the stage for your presentation very well. Also, I would be lying if I said I was avid Gustave Flaubert reader prior to your presentation, so I am glad that you have introduced the author to me, as your presentation made his writing seem very interesting to me.
    Your AP Open Question 1 was a pleasure to read. I found your introduction to be particularly unique, since it was only two sentences long, both of which focused on addressing the prompt. I often find myself writing unnecessarily long introductory paragraphs and will take a page from your book next time I feel like I need to get to the point quicker. In addition, I like how clearly you articulate complexities within the text, such as when you describe Emma, saying “although her actions are condemnable, they were motivated by childlike fantasies, and with this Christian diction, Flaubert creates sympathy for Emma similar to that for a saint…” Through this clear writing, you not only are able to articulate complexity, but you are also able to provide some background on the plot of the book without outright summarizing the plot. Overall, your essay was fantastic and I hope to incorporate characteristics I often see within your writing into my own.

    ReplyDelete